AFTERSHOKZ XTRAINERZ WATERPROOF HEADPHONES REVIEW
Have you been looking around for some waterproof headphones? Thinking of trying out the new AfterShokz Xtrainerz? Here is an honest review of the headphones.
I was lucky enough to have been sent a pair of #Xtrainerz (pronounced cross trainers) from AfterShokzUK to give a review. Current RRP £139.99.
I do currently use AfterShokz Trekz Titanium for running. I actually have two pairs, in a lovely blue and green – however, on a recent trip my blue ones were broken, and so I can no longer use them. Now, the #Xtrainerz are not just for swimming, they can be used for multisport, but as they are waterproof, I will be using them for a majority of my swim training.
Now, before we get started, I’m just going to say, I really enjoy using the bone conduction technology on headphones. Not only is it safer, they are allowed to be used in most races. I really like them as I prefer to hear what is going on in my surroundings at the same time as listening to music.
Bone conduction generates small vibrations which travel through the top of your cheekbones, to your inner ear, bypassing your eardrums. This means you no longer need to use inner ear headphones that block your ears, but headphones that allow you to still hear your surroundings, as well as listen to music.
What you get in the box:
- Xtrainerz Waterproof Headphones
- USB Cable / Charging Base
- Storage Case
- Waterproof Earplugs
- User Manual
- Warranty Card
- 2-year warranty
-These extremely lightweight headphones are comfortable to wear (30g).
-Xtrainerz can be submerged in up to 2 metres of water for 2 hours (Water resistance: IP68)
-Compatible with MP3, WMA, AAC, FLAC, WAV
-There is 4GB of storage, which is up to 1200 songs
-The headphones have up to 8 hours of battery life
-Clip on charger, so there are no longer any exposed charger ports on your cables. You simply just clip it on and leave it to charge.
I have now used the headphones on a few occasions and so have gotten used to wearing them. I’ve found a few things I like about the headphones, and a few things I would change. All in all, they work in the water, and that’s the most important thing.
- They are super lightweight, once you fit them on your head, you can’t even tell you have them on.
- It is really easy to change songs, with just one click, the song changes quickly.
- The music amplifies in the water. It’s quite crazy that as soon as you put your head in the water, the music is loud and clear.
- You don’t need to rely on bluetooth on these headphones. Which means you don’t have to have your phone or watch near you to listen to the music.
- Compatible in sea water, so you can switch from the pool, to the river, to the sea.
- As said previously, you can fit the headphones underneath a swim cap and goggles, however, they are quite tricky to put on at first. They do fit on your head and they definitely won’t budge, but it takes quite a while to fit them on and get them in the right position under the hat. I took them on and off a few times and it took me a while to get them into a comfortable position.
- The AfterShokz Xtrainerz have MP3, and are not compatible with Spotify or Apple Music. They also don’t have bluetooth. This means you have to upload music directly onto the headphones. I don’t actually have any music saved at all on my computer, just a few vlog songs that I quickly uploaded. It would be great if eventually it could be compatible with Spotify.
- I think they would be better for pool swims rather than open water swims. As the music is amplified, it’s hard to hear all of your surroundings, and in an open water environment, I prefer to hear everything going on. These would be perfect for a pool situation though.
I’m really looking forward to wearing the headphones for future training. As I am writing this, I am only doing open water swims but I will be getting back in to the pool soon. I just want to say thank you to AfterShokz for gifting me the product.
Want to know a bit more about the waterproof Xtrainerz headphones? Check out the website here!
*Product was gifted on the basis of an honest review.